It can be frustrating wanting to take pictures while swimming, as most phones aren’t waterproof.
However, there are ways to capture nice memories without having to buy a waterproof phone or case.
Placing your phone in a Ziploc bag is the most common method.
Or, if you choose, you can apply nano-coating or seal the phone in a waterproof container.
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle, you can send your device to a service that will handle it for you.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make your phone waterproof without a case.
1. Put It In A Ziploc Bag
A Ziploc bag is an easy and the most common way to make your phone waterproof.
Make sure you buy Ziploc bags that are air and watertight from a reputable manufacturer.
Also, don’t leave your phone immersed for long periods or in deep water.
Here’s how you can use the Ziploc bag:
- Purchase two clear Ziploc bags and place your phone in one of them
- Compress the air out of the bag by folding the ends behind your phone. Make sure you can still access your phone’s screen
- To add an extra layer of security, place the folded phone in another Ziploc bag. Make sure you have sealed the bag well
- Test the waterproof case in a bowl of water
2. Use A Waterproof Nano Coating
Nanocoating is the process of adding a coating that prevents liquids and dirt from messing with your phone.
You can accomplish this with the help of two products.
The first brand is Nanostate.
It’s the first phone-specific DIY waterproof coating product.
They have items that are waterproof and scratch-resistant.
The products offer up to a year of waterproof resistance, and you can reapply them.
Impervious is the second brand, which works on all mobile phones and tablets.
It’s a three-year-long semi-permanent coating that guarantees scratch and water resistance.
Whatever product you choose, it will need the same guidelines.
To apply, follow these simple instructions:
- Using a dry towel, wipe the phone’s exterior.
- With the hydrophobic liquid of your choice, apply it to your phone in droplets. Make sure you put it on all components.
- Wait for at least one hour till it fully dries.
3. Keep It In A Watertight Jar
If you have an empty cookie jar around, you can use it to make your device waterproof.
This is a good solution if you want your phone with you in a setting where it can be wet, but you don’t need constant access to it.
To use, you’ll need a jar with an airtight lid, which is typically silicone or rubber.
If your lid is missing a seal, you may easily make one. Here are your options:
4. Self-Adhesive Rubber Seal
Rubber seals are utilized in a variety of items to minimize liquid and air leaks.
You may have noticed the seals in your windows at home.
That is to protect your home from rain and other harsh weather.
Self-adhesive rubber seals have two types: rubber and foam.
However, for this method, it’s best to use rubber.
Follow these steps to apply it:
- Remove the jar’s lid and clean it. Make sure to dry it well before proceeding to the next step.
- Strip the self-adhesive rubber seal’s backing tape.
- Push the rubber seal around the inner rim while carefully peeling the backing tape. Continue until you’ve completed a full circle.
- Cut the excess seal with scissors once you’ve made a full circle.
5. Sugru Glue
Sugru is a moldable adhesive glue that hardens into waterproof silicone rubber.
It may stick to almost any surface, including the lid of a jar.
The steps are simple:
- Clean the lid and allow it to dry before proceeding
- Form the glue into a rope-shaped string and carefully press it onto the inside of the rim
- Put the lid onto the jar while the glue is still flexible so that the glue’s structure conforms to the covered jar
- Carefully remove the lid once it has gained shape
- Allow the adhesive to set for 12 to 24 hours
6. Use A Phone Waterproofing Service
If you don’t want to do it yourself, you may always use a service to waterproof your phone for you.
Liquipel will apply a permanent waterproofing coating on your device.
They’ll coat your phone in a light, water-resistant nano-coating.
However, the company warns against putting your phone in water for an extended period.
The water-resistant coating may not protect your phone enough.
Their service is best for short-term purposes.
If you’re worried about your warranty, don’t worry.
Liquipel advises registering your device with the company to maintain your warranty.