To wash waterproof socks all you need to do is turn them inside out and soak them in warm soapy water, that’s it!
Waterproof socks are impervious to water, so you can’t simply throw them in the washing machine and expect them to come out clean and ready to wear.
Putting waterproof socks in the washing machine is a bad idea for two reasons:
- Strong detergents can damage the waterproof lining so they will no longer be waterproof.
- Washing machine water can get quite hot which can also damage the waterproof lining and may cause your socks to significantly shrink which waterproof socks are prone to do.
If you really want to wash them in a washing machine then make sure it is a cold wash using a very mild detergent.
We recommend that to properly wash your waterproof socks without damaging you should follow these steps:
- Get a washing up bowl and fill it with lukewarm soapy water (roughly 40°C / 104°F), make sure it is not too hot as this will damage the lining. Use washing-up liquid or hand wash to make it soapy.
- Turn your socks inside out and wash them in the water, gently rub them, then turn them inside out again and clean the remaining dirt off the outside. It shouldn’t take much more than a couple of minutes to remove all dirt.
- Leave them to dry and you’re all done.
Can You Dye Waterproof Fabrics?