Some of the most effective ways to ensure the protection of your couch for the outdoors are to use scotch guard, a waterproof couch cover, or waterproof spray.
In this post, we’ll address each of these methods to teach you how to waterproof a couch for the outdoors.
1. Scotch Guard
Using scotch guard to waterproof a couch is the easiest way to protect it outdoors.
You can waterproof a couch using scotch guard by following these steps:
- Cover the surrounding items with protective sheeting if necessary. Wear a mask to protect you from the fumes.
- Shake the can well before use.
- Make sure your couch is clean and dry.
- Spray slowly in a sweeping motion and make sure you cover the couch fully.
- Let it dry fully before use.
- Reapply if needed.
2. Use a Waterproof Couch Cover
You can also use a waterproof cover to give your couch the extra layer of protection it may need to stand tall against the harshness of the elements.
A good cover will protect your furniture from mildew and dirt.
Follow these steps to use a waterproof couch cover:
- Measure the size of your couch.
- Choose a cover made of vinyl to ensure it’s fully waterproof, not just water-resistant.
- Make sure your couch is dry and clean before covering it.
- Pull the cover tight around your couch, and if the cover has ties, tie them at the base.
3. Use Waterproof Spray
Alternatively, you can use a waterproof spray to protect your couch by following these steps:
- Ensure your couch is clean and dry.
- Spray the area evenly and thoroughly but avoid soaking or saturating it.
- Let the couch dry completely before use.
Tips to Remember
- Clean your couch before attempting to use any of these waterproofing methods to prevent any dirt from setting in.
- Check your furniture for cuts or rips before spraying them. And if there are rips, repair them before spraying because it won’t work properly if there are holes.
- Check the labels on waterproofing sprays to make sure they are suitable for your couch fabric.
- When spraying scotch guard or any waterproof spray, cover your eyes and mouth for safety and to avoid getting any of it in your face.
- Even if you waterproof your furniture in extreme weather conditions, it might still be affected. So, it’s best to move them indoors until these harsh conditions pass.
- Waterproofing cushions and pillows won’t be enough; they need to be covered to stop water from seeping into the filling and ruining them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you put a regular couch outside?
Yes, you can use any kind of couch outside if you protect it appropriately.
By using the above-mentioned ways to waterproof your regular couch, it’ll be ready to be put outside.
What materials are waterproof for outdoor furniture?
Many materials are waterproof and used for outdoor furniture like acrylic, polyester, vinyl, olefin, and Textilene.
Acrylic fabric is the ideal material for outdoor furniture as it can withstand the harshest weather conditions and UV radiation.
Can outdoor furniture be left outside in the rain?
Yes, you can leave outdoor furniture in the rain because most of these are made to withstand harsh weather elements such as rain, snow, and sun.
If left without proper maintenance, though, these items may deteriorate over time.