Outdoor cushions are a great way of making an outdoor area more homely and comfortable.
Unfortunately (depending on where you live) you can never rule out a surprise downpour that could soak your cushions through.
Thankfully cushions can easily be waterproofed by applying waterproof Scotchguard or a waterproof spray to them.
1. Use Scotchguard
Scotchguard is designed for use on fabrics, it helps protect against unwanted stains however they also have plenty of water repellent outdoor fabric protectors.
Scotchguard is a good choice if you are concerned that waterproof spray may stain your outdoor cushions or change the color in some way.
To waterproof outdoor cushions using Scotchguard follow these steps:
- Protect the area – place a cloth down to spray the cushion on. Scotchguard is hard to remove so you don’t want to spray it onto the flooring, it will also harm the grass if you spray it there so use an old cloth.
- Spray it – hold the can around 8inches/20cm away from the cushion and spray until the fabric is covered without being soaked.
- Spray the other side – simply flip the cushion over and repeat step 2 on the other side of the cushion.
- Leave it to dry – allow 24 hours to dry in a well-aerated place before using it.
Typically Scotchguard will need reapplying once a year, however this depends on how much direct exposure to rain and sunlight the cushion has had as these will cause it to break down quicker.
If the cushions have spent most of their time sheltered indoors then they the Scotchguard protection may last for a couple of years.
1. Use Waterproof Spray
Waterproof spray is an effective alternative to Scotchguard, however be aware that some sprays may discolor fabric so make sure to test it out first.
To waterproof outdoor cushions using waterproof spray follow these steps:
- Protect the area – waterproof spray is hard to remove to place a cloth down to protect the ground/flooring. The cloth should ideally be placed on the ground outside as the fumes can be toxic if inhaled.
- Spray it – hold the can 8inches/20cm away from the cushion and spray until the fabric is covered but not soaked.
- Spray both sides – flip the cushion over and spray the other side of the cushion.
- Leave it to dry – drying time will vary depending on the spray you use, some sprays will be fully dry within a couple of hours, others can take as long as 48 hours so check the instructions on the packaging.
You can expect the waterproof spray to be effective for up to a couple of years depending on weather exposure and how often the cushion covers are washed.
Drip some water onto the cushion next summer and check if the moisture is absorbed or not to work out if you need to reapply the spray.