Acrylic paint is not waterproof.
It is a water-based paint, so is easily weakened when water is added.
Once dry acrylic paint becomes porous meaning it will absorb water, this will cause it to crack and peel off over time.
To make your acrylic paint last for years in damp conditions all you need to do is seal it with a clear coat of varnish.
Is acrylic paint waterproof after it dries?
Dried acrylic paint is not waterproof but it does have some degree of water resistance, it certainly won’t be destroyed by an accidental splash of water or by getting once caught in the rain.
However, prolonged exposure to rain will eventually cause the paint to chip, crack and peel off as water is absorbed into it.
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Rocks?
Acrylic paint that has been treated with a sealant such as varnish performs very well on rocks and can be expected to last for years, even decades to come.
In fact in our local area we have a group that paints rocks with acrylic, seals them, and leaves them in local parks with a message on painted on the back about their Facebook group.
People who find the rock post about it on the group and then hide the rock in a new spot for someone else.
This group has been going for a few years and many of the rock paintings have lasted years thanks to being treated with varnish.
As with all surfaces if the paint isn’t treated with a sealant then it won’t last long when exposed to water.
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Shoes?
Acrylic paint is commonly used on shoes, providing care is taken of them and they are appropriately sealed then it can last for a long time.
- If your shoes get regular use the movement of the shoe can cause the paint to crack.
- Also if water gets inside your shoe it can soak through from the inside and damage the paint.
- Acrylic paint on shoes is highly susceptible to cracking as shoes have to deal with knocking against and kicking things on a regular basis.
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Wood?
Acrylic paint can be used on wood again with the addition of a sealant such as a varnish.
When using acrylic on wood it is a good idea to paint the wood with a primer first, this is because wood absorbs a lot of paint if untreated.
Once the primer has been applied use the acrylic paint, wait for it to dry and then seal it with clear varnish.
This will fully waterproof the acrylic so it should last for many years providing you take care of it.
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Plastic
Acrylic paint doesn’t work very well when applied directly onto plastics.
Plastic is very smooth and it is not porous which means the paint can’t adhere to it very well and will fall away easily even if a sealant is applied over the top.
To give acrylic paint a better chance of surviving on plastic follow these steps:
- Sand the plastic to roughen up the surface
- Paint a primer onto the plastic and let it dry
- Apply the acrylic and let it dry
- Finish with a clear sealant
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Glass
As with plastic, glass is extremely smooth and non-porous.
Acrylic paint will stick to glass for a while but, even if sealed, is likely to fall or peel off quickly if it gets wet.
Is Acrylic Paint Waterproof On Fabric
Acrylic paint can be waterproofed on fabric if you mix it with fabric medium, this is a type of pain that makes it possible to paint on fabric, and seal it once dry using heat.
Simply follow these steps:
- Pre-wash the fabric, make sure to avoid fabric softeners as these can make it harder for paint to stick
- Iron out any creases
- Mix your acrylic paint with the fabric medium
- Paint the fabric
- Leave to dry for up to 24hours
- Use an iron or hairdryer on low heat to set the paint, this will effectively seal in the paint and allow it to withstand the washing machine.
Can you make acrylic paint waterproof?
Acrylic paint is easy to waterproof, all you need to do is wait for it to dry and then seal it with a clear waterproof layer of something such as:
- Nail polish
- Waterproof glue
Is acrylic paint permanent?
Acrylic paint can be permanent depending on where it is applied, if it has been sealed and how it is looked after.
To maximize its longevity follow these steps:
- Paint on a suitable surface. Acrylic won’t last long on surfaces like plastics, fabrics and wood.
- Apply a clear sealant to protect the paint.
- Take good care of it, even the most permanent of paints can be chipped off if you don’t take care of them.